At the turn of the 20th Century, leaders of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in the Illinois Conference had the foresight and determination to establish schools to train young people to attain exceptional levels of knowledge and a relationship with God.
With this vision 78 acres of rural farmland was purchased in 1909 from Mr. Skogland to start the Broadview Swedish Seminary in Broadview, Illinois -- almost a days journey by horse and buggy from growing Chicago.
Built around 1914, the first administration building built appears on the left. It later became the boys’ dorm. In 1922 the name was changed to Broadview College and Theological Seminary and continued as such until 1934 when the college joined with Emmanuel Missionary College (now Andrews University).
During this period of time the following were presidents:
G.E Nord 1909-01913
H.O Olson 1913-1928
Thomas Steen 1928-1932
In 1934, Broadview Swedish Seminary now called Broadview College and Fox River Academy in Sheridan, Hinsdale Sanitarium Academy in Hinsdale, and a day academy in Chicago, merged into one school, named Broadview Academy.
Life at the Broadview campus was wholesome, with minds exploring all the marvelous developments for the next few decades -- radio, air transportation, automobiles, television, newspapers, and the wonder of wonders, knowledge increased almost as fast as the speed of sound. Entering the campus through the twin pillars, young people walked into an experience of their lifetime.
In 1949 a contest was held to find a slogan for Broadview Academy, one with depth of meaning, truthfully representing the goals of administration and teachers. The winner:
Character Above Intellect . . .
Over the span of 90 years, more than 3,000 graduates have left the halls of learning to serve around the world. Over and over again, graduates overwhelmingly believe “Broadview made me a better man, or woman,” as the case may be. Click here to see what some of those individuals have done and are doing with their lives, and how they value the education they received.
As the world around Broadview Academy expanded, it appeared necessary to sell the 48 acre property and relocate the school. That was accomplished in 1958 with the purchase of the
Savage-Marydale farm in La Fox -- reported to be one of the finest and most well-equipped farms in the State of Illinois.
Transition is never easy. Construction began immediately, first with the construction of faculty homes, followed by the administration building, the boys’ dorm and then the cafeteria. The first semester after the move, girls lived with the faculty or in the farm mansion, while the boys survived in their unfinished dorm. Classes were held on the hillside and in unfinished rooms. Though conditions seemed difficult at times, everyone survived.
In looking back, the graduates of the first class at the “new Broadview” said it was the happiest time of their lives. Although the school’s current location was once surrounded by corn fields, it is now once again located in the middle of a growing community, although there is a forest preserve nearby.
At the end of the 2006-2007 school year Broadview Academy closed indefinitely.